The most diverse street in America? Find color, culture, connectedness on Devon Avenue
Read the Chicago Tribune article to learn more about “Little India” where there’s something for everyone.
Click the image below for article.
Devon Avenue Special Service Area #43
Devon Avenue Special Service Area (SSA) #43 includes Devon Avenue from Damen to Kedzie, Western from Arthur to Granville. The SSA has provided programs and services in the commercial district since 2004.
Devon Avenue Facebook
Devon Avenue Instagram
SSA #43 Commission Meetings and Documents
SSA #43 Map
- Advertising and Promotion
- Business Improvement Program (BIP): We promote and revitalize the commercial buildings within the SSA by providing financial and technical assistance to owners and tenants who wish to improve their storefronts. Through this program, owners and tenants are eligible for a 50% rebate up to $5,000 on improvements made to their façade. Download application here.
- Sign Removal Program: The Devon SSA 43 pays 100% of the cost to remove exterior building signage to help local businesses improve the appearance of their storefronts and the commercial district. Download form here.
- Security Camera Rebate Program: Through this program, owners and tenant are eligible for a 50% rebate up to $1,500 on exterior security cameras in the front of their store. Download application here.
- Public Way Aesthetics: We mulch, weed and plant seasonal plantings. In addition, offer sidewalk snow removal, litter pickup, graffiti removal and we install holiday decorations, maintain street pole banners and purchase streetscape elements, as needed.
- Small Business Improvement Fund (SBIF): We promote and revitalize the commercial buildings within the Tax Increment Financing District by providing financial advice and technical assistance to the owners and tenants who wish to improve their storefronts. Through this program, owners and tenants are eligible for a 50% rebate up to $150,000 on improvements made to their building/business. For more information, click here.
- Special events
What is a Special Service Area?
Special Service Areas (SSAs), known as Business Improvement Districts or BIDs in other cities, are local tax districts that fund expanded services and programs through a localized property tax levy within contiguous areas. The enhanced services and programs are in addition to those currently provided through the City.
Who manages the SSA?
The City contracts with local nonprofits, called Service Providers, to manage SSAs. Mayorally-appointed SSA Commissioners for each SSA district oversee and recommend the annual services, budget and Service Provider Agency to the City. There are currently 53 active SSAs in Chicago
- Advertising and Promotion
- Business Improvement Program
- Economic Development
- Facade Improvements
- Public Way Maintenance
- Public Way Aesthetics
- Tenant Retention and Attraction